First version includes:
- Complete Brinstar map, but only populated with enemies in the path to the first missiles
- All items except varia and wave beam. Keep right to reach a special room containing all of them.
- All brinstar enemy types. They won’t behave exactly as in the original though. My aim was to add them all, and in some cases I just went ahead as I remember them without comparing with the original.
- Doors, destroyable blocks and lava.
- Touch controls on touch devices (and decent performance on at least my Nexus 5 mobile).
Shortcomings and bugs:
- Highly inefficient parsing of the Tiled map-file causing weaker devices freeze after starting a game.
- Room transitions are pretty bad. It should be on top of the todo-list.
- Sometimes samus bounces on frozen enemies. I don’t know why…
- Frozen enemies and destroyable blocks can cause samus fall through walls.
- Items reappear if you leave a room and return.
- Not all events are paused when items are picked.
- Skree bullets are harmless.
- You can stand up from maru shape (ball) even if there is solid tiles above Samus.
- Samus animations needs work.
- A lot of coding was done without checking the original.
- No support for partial tiles (8×8 pixels).
- Audio-files in mixed formats and no fallbacks for compability.
I don’t really have a plan for this project, and priorities may change but this is what may come in the next version.
- True to original room transitions.
- Alternative audio formats
- Save game and that picked items stays picked.
- Complete world map
- Secret passages (bombs and non-solid tiles)
- All items
- Simulated 8×8 pixel tiles.
- A few more enemy types.
- Gamepad support
- Code clean-up and removal of quick hacks to rush the first release.